I’ve been making it a habit to check in on myself when trying to accomplish my year’s resolutions. Today I’ll share my progress as a way to admit to the world where I’m going wrong and right
- Go to Italy. Oh Dear. It’s almost here. Watch this space.
- Maintain my weight healthily. Okay, okay, I’ve been horrid. I’m consistently eating what I shouldn’t when I mentally plan to do better. Wine and libations have taken over a few weekends away and good food to accompany them never helps a diet. I’ve mentally resolved to give myself to rid my soul of this need this weekend and back to resolve on Monday. Strict orders. and the guilt is already setting in and I respond…thanks Mom ;)….to that.
- Continue to be grateful for what I have. I’ll spout later about what Pinterest has done for my shopping habits. But lately because of the purging I’ve really come to realize what items I use in my day to day, what items are “needed” but not so much and then what items need to go. I’m realizing I use about 10% of my stuff 90% of the time and the rest is nice to have. So the more I take the time to realize how charmed a life I really do lead, the more grateful I am. That said, given the wildfires striking the state everywhere, it’s amazing to know that I could live without 100% of my stuff, and that the people in my life who support me would get me through God forbid something were to happen.
- Value myself. This gem of a resolution came in the phrase of “Work Life Balance” this month. I continue to “LAY THE BLACKBERRY DOWN” and when I get home, to be home. I’m trying more often to leave work at work, and not become tied to after hours answers and work on weekends. I know these become necessary from time to time, and work isn’t always defined as “my day job”…but I need to explore my leisure time and engage myself in enjoying the moment rather than constantly worrying about a to do list.
- Get my wisdom teeth pulled. In a very odd turn of events, I’ve gotten my xrays, I’ve scheduled an appointment and I’m going to the dentist the end of October to rid myself of the pesky twosome. But if I have to eat carb laden noodles to get back to health…I’m blaming you all.
- Write a novel. I have recently been reinspired by, of all things, a management class on persuasion to pick this back up. Now I’m internally struggling with a few “writing” projects – not only do I wonder if I should finish my self guided manual – was I sounding too bitter? or….should I scrap and start over on a fiction novel. The latter idea is winning out, but the starting something brand new that I know is gonna take awhile factor is hurting.
- Wear more socks, tights, etc….Fall is almost here. I bought tights at Urban Outfitters in Austin a few weekends back. A lovely blue electric pair along with my knee high boots that I just purchased (the brown ones were eaten….blame Ralph.) are saying FALL! FALL! and even better, despite the heat wave that we’re in, the wind started to blow this morning and it was beckoning, even if just a whisper, that scarf weather is around the corner.
- Purge more. Still on going. While I’ve gotten the major areas down, I’m working on the detailed bits. Asking myself constantly why is this in this drawer/bag/etc…this mindset has helped me think about packing for Italy (less packed stuff = more shopping space!) and also gotten me to think about a new arena – people….there was a FANTASTIC quote the other day I saw on Pinterest (addicted!)….the jist of it was “Don’t make someone a priority if they are making you only an option.”…amen.
- Go to town more – it seems over the past few weeks that I’ve been going to townS more. We’ve been to Austin and San Antonio and had quite a blast. Again, as previously said, the hint of fall in the air will have me exploring Houston alot more and there are some great events coming up – festivals, movies in the park, dances, can’t wait to enjoy the hub-bub that good weather stirs up.
- Use environmentally friendly bags, products, etc… hmmmm. Okay, here’s a positive spin on this one….or a mulligan, you decide….I’m using Pinterest to mentally “buy” things. It’s makign for alot less shopping when I pin an outfit or a room look and realize that I have alot of the components already in my house. So not only am I saving money, but no shopping = no bags….is that a win? …erm.
- Finish crafts – Still going strong on this. I have a few that are still bugging me that are “just going to take awhile”….I finally started knitting the blanket that I know will take me through Christmas. I just found a LOVELY inspiration to finish the bustle skirt that was giving me a run for my money. I completed the wine stoppers last week minus grinding off the superfluous end pieces…easy one! I even finished a painting project. My craft/photo studio room is in a bit of an uproar as my mom bequeathed me a chaise and that means, for the first time ever, I have too much furniture than the room can handle. I may have to have you all help me on this transformation….
- Give more gifts – yes. Not only have I found a great gift for my mom “just because we’re going to brunch” next weekend, but I’ve also found some great ideas for gifts for Christmas that were really causing me gift givers block….it’s like writers block for gift givers…accept it. own it. use it again…….anyway, that said, I’m still making smiles. Yay.